Thursday, September 07, 2006

 

Death of the TV and a cricket

So, yesterday afternoon I was watching a little tube. Nothing special, I think it was the food network (normally if the tv is on, there is a 80% chance it is on the food network - why? who knows - I just love it) Then, out of nowhere the screen goes blank and it starts making this high pitch screeching sound. So I turn off the reciever (we have dish network - one of those DVR things) and when I turn it back on there is a message that it is doing a hard disk analysis, which could take 45 minutes it tells me. Well, I am not the most technically savvy person, so I leave it alone. Then a new message pops up that says my hard drive is corrupt and all data will be deleted and restarted - just press ok. I am mad at this point, we have like 30 movies that we have recorded and have only watched a few of them. So I wait until Matt gets home and ask him what to do. He tells me that there is nothing we can do and just press ok. I do just that and the stupid thing keeps putting up the message saying that your hard drive is corrupt and nothing else. So, Matt calls dish network and after conversing for a few minutes, the guy tells Matt that the reciever is broken and that they will send us a new one. Ok. No problem. Then he tells us it will be around 5 working days to get it. Thats going to be next week! Oh well, no prime time tv for us for a while.

So you are probably wondering what a cricket has to do with this. After the tv broke, Matt was playing online and I was reading a book. It was very quiet in our house. Then the noise came. CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP!!! A stupid cricket decided to make its home in the siding in the wall outside our living room and next to the bedroom. It sounded like the cricket was sitting in between us - it was that loud. This is not the first night we have heard him, but with no tv to drown out the noise it was way more than annoying. And the stupid thing wouldnt stop and take a break! It was constant! So after the 5th time starting a sentance in my book because all my brain was doing was listening to the chirping, I sent Matt out there with the Ortho Home defense spray (love this stuff! I would have done this myself, but being prego, I cant) He sprayed the base boards and a few minutes later - quiet. Nothing, nada. Blissful quiet. I felt bad for killing the cricket, but my sanity depended on it. Little did I know, the sucker survived. He made himself known at 3 am this morning. At least he wasnt in the wall anymore, I think he was somewhere in the yard, but that little guy is LOUD! He is still chirping right now at 10:30 am.

So while I was preparing to give a funeral for my tv and the cricket, I guess only the tv will need one. So while you watch prime time tv tonight, think of us. I am probably going to go to the library and get a few books for my entertainment in the evenings. Which we all know reading is better for your brain than tv anyway.

Comments:
That's funny stuff- sorry you're without TV!!
 
Guess I'll be stopping at Home Depot on the way home. I swear I'm gonna get Gulf War Syndrome from all the chemicals that get put on our yard.

P.S. - I love the silence
 
Chemicals are way better than dealing with the ants we had last summer. They took over!
 
You should check out the symphony of crickets we have here. We should start charging admission to concerts in the garage to make some extra money. And, better the direct tv box than the tv go bad - it coulda been a lot more expensive. Can you tell I'm a home owner now - money is all I think about!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?