Thursday, September 28, 2006

 

Gestational Diabetes

Yesterday morning I took my 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I had failed my 1 hour test (which is very common) so I had to take the 3 hour one. You are on a special diet, high with carbs (to see if your body can handle the sugars), for 3 days. Then the night before the test, you have to fast for 12 hours. When you go in, they take your blood and if your sugar levels are normal (which it takes an hour for the results to come in - which really makes it a 4 hour test) then the test begins. They wont give you the drink with huge amounts of sugar if your levels are already high. You have to drink that sugary drink and get your blood drawn every hour for 3 hours. Yes, that means you get stuck 4 times. I have bruises on my arms; they're just a tad sore. If you fail 2 or more of the 4 tests, you have Gestational Diabetes. I got my results this morning and I failed 3 of mine, so I have GD. (click on that to read more about what GD is) I am going to get a call from a diabetes councelor in order to set up a meeting with them in order for them to teach me what to do. I have to change my diet to add more protein and less carbs and I will have to check my sugar levels a few times daily. It will be a change for me. I live on bread and pasta. If I dont take care of it, I might have a very large baby (because he takes the sugar and gets fat, literally) and there are also health risks with his heart and other things. He might also go into insulin withdrawl after he is born. So, it is very important that I take care of myself. It should go away after birth, but I have a 2 in 3 chance of getting it with other pregnancies and of developing type 2 years later. Come on December!!!!

Comments:
you poor thing, Contractions and no ice cream or doughnuts to console yourself with. I would not be able to handle it. I just hope that you end up on the healthy end of the stick after your pregnancy! I am going to work on speeding up time for December!
 
Awwww.... Lindsay! One of the teachers here had that during 2 of her pregnancies, but it went away after the birth. Tell Matt to start grillin' up that steak for ya! :) Much love!
 
yep. i am with elizabeth. make steak (matt) for dinner every night!

thinking of you! YOU CAN DO IT!
 
hang in there lindsay - it really is worth all the miserable days and nights once he's here. they say every pregnancy is different - with all you've gone through this time, your next time should be a piece of cake!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?