Saturday, June 14, 2008

 

Still Breathing


Yeah we have been bad bloggers lately. We do have good excuses though. Lindsay is busy chasing a scary smart toddler around and I'm busy defending freedom and democracy around the world.

So things have gotten pretty busy over here. I spend alot of time out on missions and when I'm back at the FOB my office work eats up a good 10-12 hours of the day. I really appreciate everyone that has been sending care packages and things to hand out for the kids. The students at CLS are in the lead by far. I usually get a packet of notes from them once a month plus they sent in nine boxes of paper, pens, and crayons for the PRT to pass out to children.

It is getting to that point in the deployment where people start getting on each other's nerves. Luckily it is also time for R&R to start. I have never been one to get annoyed easily and that has really helped me keep a good attitude. My contractors are the only people that can really get under my skin. If they aren't begging for money then they are coming up with excuses about why their work looks like crap or isn't finished. Being nice and stern (read mean) with them gives me a nice outlet for frustration. A few of them have told Azim that I am a very mean man which he gleefully translates for me. Azim is my interpreter for those that don't know. He is a great guy to work with and helps me out immensely. As the engineer terp he gets alot of on the job training with construction and contracting which can lead to a good job in the future when he is done being a terp.


I have also started going to the gym every day and running every three days. It just helps break up the monotony and makes carrying around 70lbs worth of armor/gear/weapons a bit easier. I don't really have any lifting goals but I do want to be able to run 13 miles at a 8:30 pace by the time I come home. There are plenty of guys my age that can run faster but things are a little different up here at 7500 feet.

I'll try and update more often from here on out.

Comments:
So good to hear from you! I know every one is excited for your 2 weeks home!! Sure wish we could make it down in that time. I look forward to at least hearing your voice over the phone in a few weeks. Take care! (and happy father's day!)
 
Hi Matt! Great to hear from you! ENJOY your time home! Thanks for updating us on the goings-on with you. Glad they're keeping you busy! Don't work (or run) too hard!
 
Happy Birthday! Just have had two wonderful days visiting with your Mom, sis, niece, the Kieslars, the Koss's and the Starins. Hope your are well. I know that all are anxious for your to come home for your visit!

Love,
AM
 
You look good carrying around the extra 70 lbs. I think the camera adds about 10 lbs. I hope it keeps you safe. I think of you, Lindsay, and the little stunt man often.

Natalie Becknell
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?